Students start learning science from a very young age. Observing Phenomenon and problem solving is best way for developing a student’s mind. However, they can tackle the big issues and have creative solutions but they face difficulty in turning it into conclusion scientifically. They do not know how and why they get the results. Well, it is the common issue with the students and they are lacking in this situation. Scientific solutions might help you out in helping your students to explain their thought process. But in many cases teachers do not get the expected results. So a new method known as Claim evidence reasoning template model is available for these students. This graphical approach will help them n making the lab reports and write their thought more scientifically with an ease.
What is Claim Evidence Reasoning?
CER is a writing method designed for students to analyze experience and information in organized manner. This procedure is available; for elementary school students. It starts with the question from teacher about the scientific concept familiar to them. Then students use CER to answer these questions providing bath evidence and reasoning. It is the simplest method. But sometime students freeze out when they need to provide reasoning in support of their claim.
Claim Evidence Reasoning Example
According to CER Model, an explanation consist of the following
A claim is an answer to the question you have investigated
- The claim should not start with “yes” or “no”.
- The relationship between independent and dependent variables should be described.
- It answers, what can you conclude?
Claim evidence reasoning template Elementary
Evidence: It is the information provided to support your claim
- You must provide sufficient evidence to support the claim.
- The data must be appropriate for supporting your claim. Leave unnecessary information which does not support the claim.
- The evidence must be quantitative, qualitative or their combination.
Reasoning: It is the bridge that ties evidence and claim together
- It describes why and how the data is the evidence to support the claim.
- It justifies why this evidence is important to this claim.
- The reasoning includes multiple scientific principles considered important to the evidence and claim.
Claim evidence reasoning template English
How to introduce CER to students
As stated earlier students start learning science at very young age and by the time the reach colleges they have already attended 2-3 years of science classes. So they have an exposure of writing conclusions but not the quality explanation. It is the right time to introduce CER to these students. There are many ways in which you can introduce CER to the students but here I am sharing the simple method which will be helpful for you. Other than this method you can use the templates and hand over tem to the students for improving their skills.
- CER is necessarily to be introduced as the goal of science.
- Use simple situations, like artwork, images, etc.
- Create an anchor chart
- Use a rubric to critique examples
- Provide examples from science
- Provide those data to Create CER worksheets
- Connect to other content areas
- Peer critique
Claim Evidence Reasoning Template PDF
The templates for the high school students and colleges are available here. You can save these sheets and indentify the claim, evidence and reasoning. These sheets are designed for practicing [purpose. If you want to save these sheets in PDF format then click on the get File button given below the image. Students can solve this query individually or in a group. The details must be added in one line. CER was designed to help students in learning the concept of scientific explanation. The practice will help in improving their skills.
CER is used by teacher at large scale in schools. The evidence and reasoning is important for students to learn as it will be helpful for them in creating the lab reports. The claim evidence reasoning template provided in this article is simple. Teachers who want to develop the thinking capacity of the students must use these templates. Some students will give the bad reasoning or evidence to their claims. But with daily practice they will be able to claim right with suitable evidence or reasoning. So keep using these sheets and for more templates visit this page gain. We will update the new sheets soon.