Police Report Template Law enforcement agencies like the police departments have many forms to register a crime or any violations to laws that take place on a regular basis. This recording of all the violations are done using the crime reports or other kinds of police reports. Different types of police reports are present depending on the requirement and necessity that the situation entails.
Police Report Template
Police reports can be filed both offline and online. Different types of reports require different templates. Citizens can file a police report by going down to a police station and writing the report down or by calling the police helpline provided or by an online report form. Police stations are very busy all day and writing and filing all reports manually each time is a cumbersome process and very time consuming. This is where the use of templates come. The templates have needed information for the report already mentioned and space given so that the required information can be filled. The template would come or contain details such as:
- Date and time – The date and time of the report being filed should be clearly mentioned in the report. This gives the report legitimacy and authenticity. Date and time of the report is essential to find out the amount of time elapsed after the event has been completed and report filed.
- Date and time of incident – The date and time of the incident should be mandatorily mentioned. The date and time of the incident being reported acts as a time stamp and usually aids the alibi. The date and time helps to relate people to the scene and imply people including the person reporting the incident.
- Details about the reporter –Detailed address, name and other required whereabouts of the person reporting the incident should also be mandatorily included as this provides legitimacy.
Sample Police Report Word
- Location – The location of the reported incident should be mentioned. The report is most likely to be registered in particular jurisdictions and specific stations mostly under normal circumstances. The witness should describe the area and location of the crime scene both primary scene and secondary crime scene if any.
- Nature – The nature of the event should be detailed say a missing case, a robbery and so on. The nature of the event grievous or simple, the nature of the offence being cognizable or non-cognizable all should be understood so as the need to issue an arrest warrant or investigation without a warrant and so on.
- Details of incident – The main event witnessed or known of should be vividly described. Only the facts are to be explained as the police report only consists of facts and are factual. No added details or exaggerated details on any accounts should be made.
Police Report Google Docs
The varieties of police report templates present are:
- Normal or plain police report template
- Robbery police report template
- Missing person report template
- Police investigation report template
- Security incident report template
- Accident report template
And so on. The major advantages of having templates is that they are ready-made and one does not need to make the whole report from the scratch but just fill in the required details in the template.