It focuses on qualities of a person such as skills, abilities and experience, rather than its work history that what did he do in the past and from where did he do that and how did he do that. A functional Resume Template is mostly used by individuals who are changing their careers from time to time or have some gaps in their job or employment history. Also sometimes it is used when a person’s work history is not basically related to his current job. This highlights the person’s ability that he is capable of and what is his plus point in doing a task.
Functional Resume Template
It differs from Chronological resume which shows a timeline of the work experience and job history with some details of each and every job in the past. Functional resume is more effective because it’s easier to seek out an individual’s ability and test where that person fit in the best according to his skills but chronological resume is used commonly because it is mostly preferred in interviews and recruitments. Its helpful for the people who have gaps in the job career or are indulged in an internship. There is also an optional choice of combination resume which consists of both resume attributes. It highlights the skills of a person first and then his work history.
Functional resume Example
It is an easy way of representing a person’s skills, experience and ability with an organized structure provided with a template. This template helps to make it easier to understand and read the required data in well organized structure. The basic structure of this template is
- Contact info which is always mentioned at the top of resume
- Then comes the Qualification summary which focuses on skills of that person and his achievements
- Work experience must be mentioned
Free Functional resume template Word
- Skills that are in that person which he believes are his power and these skills should be well briefly explained about experience
- Education data such as degree and past certificates achieved should be clearly mentioned in this section.
- Then comes the last and most important. Accomplishments or Awards, which should include the highest or the biggest honor or achievement of that person ever achieved and on what basis or on what work did he received that must be mentioned clearly.
Sample Functional resume template
Three main reasons to use resume format
- Having long time of unemployment, so chronological resume format isn’t suitable because it is timeline style
- If you are switching your work area time to time due to work experience and skills not being understood
- Highlighting your specific skills rather than the past experience from the jobs
Functional resume Format template
Following are the resume template providers available on the internet through Resumegenius website.
- Server Resume
- Welder Resume
- Sales clerk Resume
- Substitute Teacher
Each of the templates are downloadable and easy to use and more of a user friendly structure. They all consists of different sections to differentiate and highlight each skill and info properly.
Before submitting a resume, writing a strong cover letter is a good idea. This cover letter expands about the skills that make the person a good candidate for the applied job. This will greatly have an effect on the resume, that it becomes more easy and clear about highlighting skill of the person with a clean hand throughout its lifetime and all the given data should be kept precise and clear so that its very easy to understand and get the perception of the person what skills do he carry and what can he do with those skills in the future.